From Mathew Jwantu, Minna.
The Niger State Government has commenced payment of outstanding fees to National Examination Commission (NECO) for the release of about 30, 000 withheld students’ results.
A statement signed by the State Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mrs. Mary Noel Berje says the government has paid over N200m out of its N400m owed fees.
It has also agreed to pay the examination body N50 million monthly for the outstanding balance that have accumulated for over the years.
“The state government has met with the officials of NECO, we have agreed in principles, after making some payments last week, that they will release the results this week”.
The State has spent over a billion Naira, since 2017, in registering students for free, it was learnt.
It has however not been regular in the payment of the obligations leading to NECO withholding over 30,000 2018 students’ results.
This has forced the students to miss the 2019 post-UTME screening.
The Permanent Secretary of the Niger State Ministry of Education, Abubakar Aliyu, had appealed to the body to release the results pending the competition of talks.
“NECO is owed N400 million this year and the government has commenced the payment. Last week Friday, we remitted N150 million to them and we are still negotiating with them to release the result but they have not,” Aluyu told journalists on Monday.