Niger: Bandits kidnap Imam, 20 others after killing 4

2 min read

From Mathew Jwantu, Minna

Four persons are feared dead in a fresh attack by bandits on Beni community in Munya Local Government Area of Niger State.

The bandits were also reported to have abductedsame the Chief Imam of Beni Central Mosque, Mallam Umar Mohammed.

20 other members of the community were also kidnapped by the gunmen, it was learnt.

Channels TV quotes the District Head of Beni, Alhaji Jafaru Umar Sarki, as saying the bandits, numbering over 50 attacked and looted from house to house in the early hours of Wednesday.

“They came three days ago and stole over 200 cows from Fulani men, and this morning, they came again in their numbers.

“So far four people have been killed, they shot another boy in the head and we don’t know if he will survive. They are so many in numbers; I can’t count them and they all had guns,” Sarki said.

The Chief was dissatisfied with security response during the incident.

He said, “The unfortunate thing is that we informed the security agents about it after the first attack but up till now nobody came to our rescue.

“What is the essence of security if people’s lives and property are not safe. This community is under siege at the moment and we are helpless.”

The State Governor, Abubakar Bello had in a press statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mary Barje directed security agencies in the state to holistically end the attacks.

According to the governor, the bandits may have come from Kaduna to attack Munya community.

Also, the Senator representing the troubled Niger East Senatorial district, Sani Musa called for the deployment of troops to “flush out” the bandits.

The attacks he said have disrupted farming activities which are the main sources of income for the locals.

The latest attack comes few days after bandits ambushed and killed a military captain and four others in the LGA.

On Tuesday, the Director-General of the State Emergency Management Agency, Ahmed Inga disclosed that over 2,500 persons had been displaced by the attacks.

At least fifty persons have been killed since the attacks resumed last year in Shiroro, Munya and Rafi Local Government Areas of the State.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright © 2019. MK-Reporters Network.