COVID-19: Name those given N20k, Plateau Assembly Member dares Govt.3 min read
A Plateau House of Assembly member, Fom Gwottson has asked state and federal officials to publish names of citizens that have benefitted from their reported N20,000 COVID-19 intervention.
In particular, beneficiaries from Jos South constituency, which he represents should be listed out for accountability, Gwottson said, Wednesday in an open letter.
“Is there a list of those who have benefitted from the twenty thousand naira palliative from the Federal Government? If yes, I will like to know which of my constituents got it, if any.”
The Lawmaker equally demanded to know the exact amount and source of funds used by Plateau officials for a proposed statewide fumigation.
In the letter addressed to Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State, the Lawmaker said, “How much has been approved for the exercise and who or which body made the approval?
“Was the Plateau State House of Assembly involved in the approval or did the funds come from another source that citizens should know?”
The statewide fumigation, Gwottson said “seems like a step in the right direction,” however, in his words, “Accounts of funds used during this pandemic must be rendered to the citizenry periodically.”
He added, “I believe that monies that are used at this time should be judiciously used with due respect to the Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
“Plateau people have great need for food at this time. While we say God forbid it, we must also be realistic and prepared.”
Mr. Gwottson further asked of the specific areas to be fumigated, the mitigating plan against increasing rains and the level of threat necessitating the exercise.
The letter partly reads:
- Plateau people will like to know the specific areas that will be subject to the fumigation. It is necessary to know which parts will be affected directly so as to better prepare citizens therein.
- What is going to be the medium of fumigation and what chemicals to be used in the exercise?
- Will the rains that are becoming constant, not adversely affect the fumigation?
- This need to fumigate must have been informed by a clear and present danger that the Plateau citizens must have been laboring under. We will like to know how eminent the threat was and how the proposed fumigation will address the danger posed to the populace.
- How much has been approved for the exercise and who or which body made the approval? Was the Plateau State House of Assembly involved in the approval or did the funds come from another source that citizens should know?
- Has the government fully considered what the Coronavirus crisis will cost citizens especially the poorest of the poor amongst us? If so, what palliative measures have been put in place to alleviate their sufferings?
- What other measures and plans does the Plateau State government have to assure that if there is a real danger of disease and hunger in Plateau State, we are prepared to deal with it in a very transparent and forthright manner?
- Is there a list of those who have benefitted from the twenty thousand naira palliative from the Federal Government? If yes, I will like to know which of my constituents got it, if any.